Goa Liberation Day is noticed on 19 December yearly in India and it marks the day Indian armed forces freed Goa in 1961 following 450 years of Portuguese rule. Goa Liberation Day is marked by an abundance of occasions and festivities in Goa although this time due to the pandemic the celebrations are anticipated to be muted. A torchlight procession is ignited from three completely different places within the state, finally all assembly on the Azad Maidan.
| | |
History of Goa Liberation Day:
- The Portuguese colonised a number of elements of India in 1510 however by the tip of the Nineteenth-century Portuguese colonies in India had been restricted to Goa, Daman, Diu, Dadra, Nagar Haveli and Anjediva Island.
- The Goa liberation motion, which sought to finish Portuguese colonial rule in Goa, began off with small scale revolts.
- On August 15, 1947, when India gained its Independence, Goa was nonetheless beneath the Portuguese rule.
- The Portuguese refused to surrender their maintain over Goa and different Indian territories. Following a myriad of unsuccessful negotiations and diplomatic efforts with the Portuguese, the previous prime minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru, determined that navy intervention was the one choice.
- The 36-hour navy operation, carried out from December 18, 1961, was code-named ‘Operation Vijay’ which means ‘Operation Victory,’ and concerned assaults by the Indian Navy, Indian Air Force and Indian Army.
Important takeaways for all aggressive exams:
- Goa Capital: Panaji.
- Governor of Goa: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
- Chief Minister of Goa: Pramod Sawant.
Thank you for visiting this wonderful educational site. Vist স্বর্ণশিক্ষা every day. Thank You.